Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Sunshine In My Soul

A couple of weeks ago when we had visitors from the states we planned an after church get together for everyone to stay and enjoy one another's fellowship.  Saturday was a day of prepping in the kitchen, making lots of sandwiches, washing and cutting veggies, and of coarse baking something sweet and finger licking good.

Thought we would throw a little extra sunshine on a beautiful Lord's day with something a bit sweet.  I pretty much love anything lemon and did a little experimenting and came up with this recipe for Lemon Cupcakes and a frosting that was just right.  They were a hit.  Even David liked them, and he normally is a solo chocolate dessert lover.  But I am slowly expanding his horizons with food.


Lemon Cupcakes
1 yellow cake mix {do not follow box instructions}
1 C peach nectar juice or apricot nectar 
2 sticks butter, melted {do not substitute for margarine}
4 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 24 muffin cups with cupcake liners.  Mix all the ingredients above with a mixer.  Fill 24 lined muffin cups.  Bake for 15-20 minutes.  Let cool completely.

Lemon Buttercream Frosting
1/2 C shortening
1 stick butter, softened to room temperature
6 1/4 C powdered sugar
5 1/2 T lemon juice
1 1/2 T vanilla {I use Mexican vanilla for everything}
2 pinches of salt
2 T milk
2 drops yellow food coloring, optional {I did not use but the butter here in Costa Rica is literally the color of canary yellow, very bright.}

Cream shortening, butter, lemon juice, vanilla, and salt.  Then slowly add powdered sugar 1/2 C at a time while whipping in stand mixer, alternating with the milk.  You can add more milk or powdered sugar if you prefer a different consistency.  But this was exactly the measurements I used {I actually wrote this one down as I did it, so I would not have to guess next time}.  Then pipe the frosting on cupcakes.  Since we are living in a very humid climate, with no A/C, it is best for me to pipe day of eating them.  I bake them day before and pipe them day of consumption.

Let me know if you try these out.  The cakes were perfect consistency, a mixture of moist and dense, but not a brick {I shall share with you about queso bricks in Costa Rica sometime}.

She draws lots of love and attention from everyone.

After church

Line 'em up

Capturing moments like these bring the most wonderful "SUNSHINE IN MY SOUL!"
Those can't be planned but just caught.  

 Felicia and Marta enjoying Sunday fellowship with one another.

Michelle, Lorena, & Alejandro

Margarita {I have NEVER seen her without this SMILE.
More SUNSHINE!

Lorena & Alejandro

Innocent and bright SUNSHINE!
{Left: Julito, Margarita, and Louis Packard}

Michelle and Leia are usually inseparable.  Love it!!!

What gatherings are all about...

One of my rays of SUNSHINE everyday...complete with chip crumbs.



No comments :