Monday, June 10, 2013

Strawberries N Cream

You don't know David very well if you don't know that he loves ice cream and would love to consume it every night after the kids are in bed.  I am not a fan of ice cream and never have been.  I hate milk!  I dislike milk so much that I drain it off every bite of cereal, on the rare occasion when I do eat cereal.

Like anything else in this country ice cream is expensive.  David would probably skimp on milk and bread and splurge for the ice cream and say that you were getting a higher caloric intake, and that making it a better buy.  It is expensive and very sub par.  It puts the Wal-Mart great value stuff  in the Ben and Jerry's category.  The cows here are just pitiful, and I would assume do not have much cream on the top of their milk.  So, that makes for some icy ice cream, that is not so creamy.

Thanks to my mom for giving me a small 1.5qt electric ice cream maker.  I had it stored in our garage in Benton for several years and never used it.  When we were moving down here, we sold tons of stuff, but for some reason that was one of the few things I kept...even though I had never used it.

I asked for lots of recipes from people, searched the Internet, tried several different things, and never came up with anything that was that great...part of the reason being that I could not get some of the main ingredients here.  Aunt Vickie sent me her recipe that she uses, and I used it for my base, changed some things, and came up with a recipe that we love.  And I don't even like ice cream.  I can pass it up with no hesitation.   But since coming up with this for David and the kids, let's just say I have had to lengthen my exercise sessions.

{sorry for the poor photo..grabbed this with the iPod one night}

Vanilla Ice Cream
{this is for a 1.5 qt}

1 C heavy whipping cream
1 egg
3/4 C sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
Milk {see instructions}

Mix egg and sugar together with whisk very well...like a really long time until you think your arm is going to fall off.  Then mix in whipping cream, vanilla, and salt.  Add enough milk {I use 2%} for your mixture to equal 4 cups.  Pour in frozen canister and start.  I let it run about 45 minutes.  I normally try to make it in the morning, so that I can put in a plastic bowl, place in the freezer, and harden like store bought.

I personally love mine with fresh strawberries, but it is good all alone, or even better with oozy gooey warm brownies, cake, cookies...you know anything that will require excessive sweating to get rid of what you just consumed.  

{I made this for our neighbors the other night and they were loving it!!  They had no idea you could make ice cream like that.  Their version of homemade ice cream was shaved ice, red syrup {it is called sirope} that tastes very much like cough syrup poured over the shaved ice and then topped with powdered milk.....yes powdered milk.  Imagine me trying to gag that one down.  Reminder, I HATE milk...strong, very strong gag reflex with MILK!  They have asked us to purchase one of these ice cream makers from the states and have someone bring it when they come to see us.  Yay!  That way I won't have to eat Cough Syrup frozen with powdered milk.}

No comments :