Thursday, June 20, 2013

Sugar Rush

I have been asked for this recipe so many times, that I have decided to just share it here.  Then I can just reference to this link....no more retyping it and resending it more times than I can remember.

I cannot take the credit for this recipe.  This is the recipe my mom and Lesa Avaritt always use.  They have been eaten, or devoured by many.  They will put you into a diabetic coma in mere seconds.  

They are so EASY.  Non-laborous.  They do not take half the day to make.  PERFECT!!


MAKE the DOUGH the NIGHT BEFORE!!!

2 C warm water
1/2 C oil
5 T sugar
2 tsp yeast
1 egg
4 C self-rising flour {don't have any, no worries I use this recipe.}

Place warm water in mixing bowl and add yeast.  No need to let it set.  I just do this first and then get my other ingredients together.  I then add my oil, sugar, and beaten egg.  Then add all of the flour.  Don't worry, the dough will be thinner than you think it should for a yeast dough.  I mix very well with a wooden spoon.  Cover bowl with saran wrap and place in fridge over night.  

In the morning, flour a pastry mat very heavily.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Dump dough on the mat, add more flour to knead with.  I knead it for 2-3 minutes.  Roll out into a rectangle.  Melt 3/4 stick butter.  Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar mixture over the butter.  I don't measure this, I just always have cinnamon and sugar already mixed together and on hand.  I then sprinkle a little brown sugar on the dough too.  Roll the rectangle up.  I then make my roll pieces by using a string of unflavored dental floss.  It works so much better than attempting to use a knife.  I use the Pampered Chef Jelly Roll pan, and it is the perfect size.

Bake for 18-20 minutes, until tops are lightly browned.  I remove them from oven and let them cool 10-15 minutes before frosting them.  And, again, I have no recipe for my frosting.  This is approximate and you may need to add more water or powdered sugar until you have the consistency you like.  I prefer more of a frosting than a glaze.  If you make a runny glaze, to me, it just makes the cinnamon rolls doughy...not my thing.  

3 C powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla {I always use Mexican vanilla}
1 TB melted butter
5 TB water {I honestly have no idea, just start here, and I never add more than a TB at a time}
*another yummy version is to whip in a TB or 2 of softened cream cheese*

I mix by hand or with a hand mixer.  I like it to be the consistancy of toothpaste.  Frost.  Eat.  Go back to sleep!!!

I am good after about 3 bites, but David thinks you need 3 or 4 of them...he will surely go into a coma one day from eating these.....reason 101 why I do not make these very often.



No comments :