Monday, September 10, 2012

I Never Thought I Would

As we have settled into our life here in Costa Rica there are things that I would never have thought...

Our first electric bill was outrageous.  We don't even have lights on during the day and no A/C. We thought we were being very conservative and only turned the light on in the room you are in at night.  We took out light bulbs and were using energy efficient bulbs.  I just couldn't give up the hot showers.  And I do still bake (it is my therapy).  What was I going to do?  I thought I had already been conservative with our energy consumption.  I can't quit baking...well, I could, but I really do think that would make for some very cranky Raboins.

This was a picture from  my 1st day hanging clothes...
I have since become very efficient and learned better
techniques : )

I never in a million years thought in this day in time I would at the ago of almost 30 in the year 2012 be hanging clothes out to dry, out of necessity.  I am not a green person, so I do not do this to save energy for the world : )  I do this now to save money.  Yes, I never thought it would be my first priority to get clothes washing in the morning so they can get hung out to dry before the rain starts moving in after noon.  I grumbled about this at first, but now I have gotten used to it.  It does take time out of my day, but it also gives me quiet time to myself during the day.  : )  Usually the only one to follow me out to do this is Leia and she just quietly hands me clothes pins. Oh, and look what my mom sent in our tote that we got last night!  I just love this little apron.  And Olivia wants one too.  The things that now excite us.




Never thought I would save foil.  I think I would make my Memaw and Nanaw (great-grandmothers) proud if they saw how thrifty I have become.  And, I just thought I was thrifty before.  I always remember them washing foil and thinking how disgusting that was and why couldn't they just throw it away and get some more.  Days of the Depression did not die in their minds.  Now if it is yucky we do not reuse, so don't go thinking I am using gross foil that I have had to scrub before reusing : )  Just wanted to clarify.

Never thought I would say that my husband would become less picky of an eater (and my children too)!  He will now gladly try my new recipes after being forced to eat other things at other times by other people.  He did not like Pumpkin muffins before...he now says they are very good.  That is wonderful, except for the fact that I only have 2 cans of pumpkin that I brought from the states.

Never thought that I would have "Gecko Poop Patrol" assignments in my home.  Yes, daily assignments are given out as to who's job it is that day.  If you stay with us, you will be added to the rotation.  Ask my mom!

Never thought I would be an "Ice Nazi!"  That is one thing that I could not stand when we would visit here.  It is an act of congress to get a couple cubes of ice in your drink.  I now know why.  Freezers require electricity, which is a very valuable thing, so space is utilized for necessary items.  So, I have a small freezer space, this coming from a woman who was accustomed to a 27cubic foot fridge in the house, a 25cubic foot fridge in the garage, and an upright deep freeze.  Yes, I was a little obsessed.  Now, all of that is consolidated into a 20 cubic foot fridge.  Yikes!!  So, we only have 4 ice trays (no space for more) and I count the amount of cubes you get.

Never thought I would live anywhere else but Arkansas and never would have dreamed another country.
Never thought I would actually need to learn another language.  (I should have chosen Spanish and not French...should have listened to my mother on that one.  You know, I thought I might go to France one day).

Never thought I would choose to buy butter over buying shaving cream.  Can you believe a package of butter costs $10 and a can of shaving is $9!!!!  Insane

Never thought I would experience a 7.6 earthquake!!!!  Write that one down in the book of memories.  Whew!  Logan said he thought a dinosaur was coming in the house.  Carson wondered why his bed was shaking everywhere.  Olivia said she thought it was Jesus coming back.  And, you should see Leia reenact it.  She throws her hands in the air and starts shaking.

All of these things and so many more I would have never thought would be a part of my  life.  But they are.  And so are some very special people.



No comments :