Thursday, July 12, 2012

This & That

There are some things that we have that are not necessities, but they sure do make life simpler...a car for one.  I told you I would let you know once I decided what I missed more, the car or A/C.  Here is the verdict........drum roll, please........CAR.  While I don't mind the exercise and the scenery, no car with errands that are necessary just take forever.  It seems like I always need something in town and can only get so much when I do go, because I either can't carry it, or there is really no room in the Corolla-size car that all 6 of us are crammed in.  I have walked to town several times, but until yesterday I have had the taxi bring me back home, because I couldn't carry everything and walk.  Yesterday we had our first visitors from the states.  Keith, who has been coming down here every couple of months flew in Tuesday night with Rob's family and Zach.

Leia made fast friends with Jessica.

I had to run to town yesterday morning to go to the doctor to get some prescriptions filled, then by the store, and then met them in town to head back to the house for lunch.  I gave them option of walking back to house or taxi.  Keith asked, "How far is it?" I told them 30 minutes.  It is a very long 30 minutes, because it is all uphill on the way home.  They opted to walk.  Oh, my was it so hot....and crazy me forgot the water bottle, and it was smoking hot.  We will just say Olivia and I smelled like peaches and soured cream by the time we got home.  That was the first time I had walked back to the house.  Whew!  So, long story, we miss a car.

I am always thinking of things to post at the weirdest times and then can't remember my clever little things I want to tell you about.  I was laying in bed last night at midnight and thought of all these good things I wanted to share, and now I can't remember.  I guess if I were a real writer then I would have jumped out of bed to pen my ideas.  Ha, I didn't move my head off the pillow.

Leia just climbed on a bar stool (that she has been told at least 100 times since we moved in here, "Do Not climb on that!") with Carson sitting in it.  The bar stool, complete with Carson's weight and the momentum of the fall, landed right above her wrist.  It goosed up immediately and turned purple.  There were lots of tears and lots of screaming.  And there is no where to take her tonight.  Praying it is just bruised or sprained, and no broken little bones.  Please say a prayer for her.  Treated her with some Motrin, cold packs, and  lots of prayers, and little kisses too.

 Of all the things we left behind, 
I packed the little dried corn bags
that Laura gave the kids. 
They are great.  We keep
them in the freezer.

 Sissy holding her while I cleaned 
up the kitchen.

Logan was asking for a dessert right after
this happened, and Olivia set him straight,
"Logan, we cannot think about food right now,
Leia needs all of our attention right now.  
We have to focus on her.  You will
just have to wait."  That is my Mama Hen!

So, since I can't remember what all I wanted to share here is....

THIS & THAT 
  • Juice is expensive here.  A normal size bottle of grape juice is almost $7.  Yeah, they haven't gotten any juice since we have been here
  • Cokes are $3 for a 2.5L
  • Pineapples are usually about $1 (we have eaten lots of those)
  • I go through a ton of kitchen towels in a day because they SOUR and fast
  • Peanut Butter is $7 for a jar
  • Shampoo is anywhere from $5-10 a bottle for the normal size brands that you would find at WalMart.  Even the Latino brands are expensive.
  • There are bakeries on every corner just about
  • I will save money on lotions and moisturizers.  I have no need for them here.  With all the humidity and sweating, I am constantly moisturizing my skin.
  • I cannot find Cool Whip!!!!  I have yet to make it to the city to WalMart.  I am on a mission.  I can make my own whipped cream, if I could just find some heavy whipping cream.
  • Chocolate Chips are like gold here.  So, if you visit us, you will notice I have become a chocolate chip Nazi.  
  • So far I have only found one thing that resembles brown sugar and it only came with 1 1/2 cups in a bag.  That is all gone after a batch of chocolate chip cookies.
  • I am on a mission to debug my home.  Bugs BEWARE if you trespass on the interior of my home.  I want you to DIE!!
  • The birds sing all day long here.  Lovely songs.
  • My kids are no longer really interested in the iguanas after a couple weeks of being here.  Does that tell you how often we see them.  There are two that sunbath of our roof everyday.
  • We despise Geckos.  They poop all over my house.  Still on a mission of ridding them from the interior of my home.  I don't care if they eat bugs or not.  Poop is worse than bugs...Ask my kids!
  • Everyone you pass smiles and says, "Buenas."
  • Chicken is $8 for 2 breasts. 
  • In all of the abundance of corn fields here, we have yet to find any that is tasty.
  • I am allergic to coffee plants.  Quite the problem since they are everywhere here. 
  • They have super sized bugs here.  I jumped out of my skin tonight when this touched my toe.  Then it started flying.  Our second night here a lizard went across my foot while I was brushing my teeth.  Hyperventilation!!


  • I never thought I would be washing out ziploc bags (within reason) and foil to reuse.  But they are ridiculously expensive here.  
  • As much as I hated WalMart, I miss it.  You can always find it at WalMart.
  • The scenery everywhere in this country is breathtaking.  One step you are in the jungle and the next you are in the rolling mountains, or rolling pastures.  Literally, you blink your eyes and it has changed.
If I sat here long enough I could go on and on, but my brain is fading away.  The sun starts coming up at 4:30 and my body does not like this mattress (aka box springs covered with fabric).  Hoping our bed will be done soon so I can put my mattress that I brought on it.  In all the purging, my mattress was a "must go."  My fumes are beginning to run low with only 3-4 hours of sleep every  night for the last 3 weeks...wow, has it been 3 weeks already?




2 comments :

~Kristin~ said...

Kalina~ I am not sure why. But this sharing of your lives is so moving to me. I have enjoyed every word of it and so look forward to it! I am not sure what gets me more...the bravery or the whole giving of yourselves.
And while I have not flown since 1988. And I will be 42 in just a few days, so chances are slim that I will ever make it to Costa Rica. I am living through you, okie dokie? And, if it makes you feel bettet...it's stinkin hot here, too.

The purging continues, here.
Along with deep cleaning as I go.
And I feel sick about all of the stuff I am getting rid of.
Not because I want to keep it, but because I have wasted so much on consumption of stuff!

Actually, the more I bag up the better I feel.
It's just making me work harder!
I am still on the fence about donating or sellimg.
Donating would be fast, easy, and DONE.
But selling....i had never thought of using that money to support someone else on theri mission.
Duh! :0)

It's funny that you are writing so regularly now.
Love it!

Have to get going.
Leading a book study this morning.

XO

p.s. Would love to have your address...you know...just in case. :0)

Amy Kinser said...

Good morning from Tennessee. So happy I found you via Kristin.

I am so enjoying reading what you have to say. Makes my heart beat a little faster.

Hope your little one's wrist is okay.

Thanks for lessons you are teaching..maybe without even knowing you are teaching them.

God bless you, Amy Kinser...wife, mom of four (one of those in heaven), homeschool teacher, lover of my Lord and Savior, etc...etc... :)