Monday, August 15, 2011

Summer's End

I love so many things about every season.  I am always so ready for one to end and the other to begin.  I don't really think it is the temperature that makes me so ready for the change (well, maybe just partly), but the different seasons of life.  Summer brings swimming, the smell of freshly mown grass, lots of homemade ice cream, lots of grilling outside, and tons of outdoor activity.  Then fall comes along with beautiful changes of color everywhere, pumpkins dressing porches with beautiful blooming mums, cool crisp nights, kids in cute lil costumes, and a huge Thanksgiving feast with family all gathered together.  And, then before you know you we are lining the halls with holly and the fire is crackling and hissing, and we are curled up under blankets snuggling on the couch, bundling up to build snowmen, the small of vanilla and all other baking goodness wafting through my home.  The holidays come and go (along with a million birthdays around here) and then we are all ready for the first signs of spring, cleaning out flower beds, planting new lil budding beauties, playing outside without bundling up, pulling out the flip flops, and just watching God's nature come to life. 
I don't think I will ever think of a calendar year as January to January.  I mark a year by the school year.  It ends at the end of May and starts at the middle of August, and everything in between, well, just doesn't really count.  So, I hate to see the summer end.  But, on the other hand, I am oh so ready for what fall brings. 

This summer I would say Olivia has learned to swim completely and I am very confident in her.  She sinks to the bottom holding her breath and blowing bubbles and then can pop right up to the top.  That is such a relief for me.  She can swim below and above the water.  Logan has moved beyond floaties.  He can hold his breath but has not yet mastered the art of blowing bubbles.  He is fearless and jumps in any way.  I will say Carson has made the most progress.  He will now enter the water without screaming and gnashing of teeth and can actually smile while in the water.  And what can I say about Leia...well, she is just a sunbathing lil babe.  She just leans back in that floatie, gets her hair a little wet, kicks back with her shades and enjoys some sun. 

We had planned to continue our homeschool through the summer, but we just had so much fun that we couldn't find the time to fit our studies in.  So, here we are at Summer's End and starting a new year. 














All I can say is the boys were not being cooperative...hence the reason for more girly photos.

1 comment :

~Kristin~ said...

Kalina~ I am so with you on this changing of seasons!
I would hate to live somewhere that stayed the same all year long!

I am so looking forward to our regular school routine and the cooler temps!

Love your family pictures. Those kiddos are so darling!

I just spent the weekend with my cousin and his family.
He has two kids...one adopted from China and another from Korea!
Such beautiful babies!

I love the little bracelets that your girls have on. Are those for sale somewhere?
My daughter would love one of those!

Love, Kristin