Friday, November 23, 2012

The Non-Traditional Traditional

I, and I think David would say as well, have not complained really at all since we have moved here.  I haven't had major meltdowns about moving so far away from home, missing family.  Well, at this moment the aching for home is overwhelming.  This is my favorite time of year, my favorite season.  It pretty much hit me Wednesday like a ton of bricks.  I love everything that comes with winter.  And I am missing all of that.  And above all I am missing doing everything with my family.

Traditional Thanksgiving:  At my Mom's, my house, or Linda's with lots of family.  Eating lots of Smoked turkey, Sweet Potato Casserole, and more pies than we can consume.

Non-Traditional:  Roast (turkeys were $55, for a small one), mashed potatoes instead of sweet potato casserole.  Ate with Mom, Dad, Justin, Brittany, Kaden, and Evan was napping, via Skype.



New Traditions:  Olivia baked her first Pumpkin Pie, crust and all, and fluted it beautifully.

Showing Nana her pie.


Traditional:  Lazy Thanksgiving afternoon scouring the ads for the best deals and mapping out a plan to catch some deals.  

Non-Traditional:  Searching the ads online and talking with my mom on the phone to make sure she got the right memory card for my camera.

I miss so many things and they are all things that cannot not be bought and thrown into the suitcases coming in a week.  

Traditional:  Black Friday Shopping and Saturday Christmas decorating

New Tradition:  Decorating the tree on Thanksgiving night (well, we started it, and will finish when Nana and Papa bring a few things from home).

He has been spoiled to a Pre-lit tree for the last 8 years,
and he was really missing it last night : )

Making sure the lights stayed untangled.

Simple Pretty balls made her so Happy.
Mommy is sentimental and is missing all of
our ornaments that have a story.

She kept saying, "HAPPY!"

Trying to find just the right spot.

Filling in holes.

He hung the last ornament.  He was
handing everyone ornaments to hang.  
He thought it was a great job.


Always a Tradition:  Cooking with the kids.  The kids and I were super down Wednesday after our airport dropoff.  There were many tears sliding down little cheeks the entire way home and not a single word uttered...that NEVER happens here.

So, we baked cookies and slathered lots of CANNED STORE BOUGHT frosting.  I know, I was a cheat.  But when I saw the canned stuff at PriceSmart for a good deal I had to purchase.  I have a secret love for canned frosting.  It is sooo good.





I am an emotional baker.  I see my tennis shoes needing to cover lots of miles for the month of December to cover my baking.

Always a Tradition:  Christmas music blaring through the house everyday starting immediately after Thanksgiving dinner.  Always brings HAPPY and CHEER.  This year while it still makes me happy, it also makes me sad....

People keep telling me to make new traditions and while I know we will, we will miss the ones we LOVE too.  Don't get stressed this holiday season, don't sweat the small stuff.  Enjoy the traditions, family, and love.    I don't what the next year holds, but I do hope and pray (please pray too) that I will be able to be with all of our family...because this isn't fun being away from home at the holidays






No comments :