Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Tidbits of Randomness


FUNNIES:
Our first full day at this house Olivia said, "If it were modest, I would take my clothes off because I am so hot."



Leia did just that...naked Jay Bird in her undies.

When we were at Myra's Sunday, Carson was running around talking to everyone and then finally looked at me with his crooked smile and said, "I keep talking to everyone but no one will answer me."  I kept telling him they didn't understand anything he was saying because they speak Spanish.




The kids were fascinated with the "soapy" water running down the sides of the streets.  We have had to really explain, "DO NOT SPLASH" in any water you see in town!!!! I will let you read between the lines on this one ; )

                                              

We have this one particular taxi driver who is an independent driver and is cheaper than the red taxis around town.  So, we have been calling him when we need a ride.  One of the windows in the back is missing the handle to roll it down.  Today we called him to pick us up in Price Smart (Same as Sam's) and on the way back to the house the driver picks up the handle out of his console and asks David if Olivia would like to roll down the window.  She was ecstatic to have the wind blowing in.  Her face was priceless.

I don't know if you can classify this as funny or not...Taxi drivers are Kamikaze car pilots.

Funny when you are the not the only one who thinks Costa Rican cheese is rancid.  Just know that if you visit, your visit will not be complete without Costa Rican Queso!  While in Price Smart another couple, I think they were Canadian or American, is on the aisle with the cheese,
Man states, "Look there is some cheddar cheese."
Woman states, "You better make sure that is imported cheese.  Look to see where it is made."
I must have giggled out loud because the lady smiled at me and said, "You don't want cheese that is made here."  My reply, "Oh I know. I have had the experience."

Leia loves apples.  She must have been so hungry this afternoon because she ate the entire apple, including the core...only thing left were the seeds on the floor...sigh.

DIFFERENT:
Very strange teaching your children that they no longer flush their toilet paper, they throw it in the trash can beside the toilet....yep, you don't flush toilet paper here or you will clog up the system.  All sewage goes to the rivers, so don't get in the water unless you are upstream.

Toilet paper is scented here....for a good reason.

MISSING: 
I think on Mondays I will do a Missing Monday.  Since I didn't do it this Monday, I will add it in here today.  I can't decide if I miss a car or A/C more.  I will let you know later when I decide.  It is quite an event to go anywhere with 4 children using public transportation.  It took most of the day to go to Price Smart.

HAPPY DANCE:
I am pretty sure the kids and I did the happy dance a few times in Price Smart.  We were so excited to see American items there.  They have Miracle Whip!!!!!!!!  Mom, they have tons of Hellman's mayo, and I thought I was going to be forced to convert.  But it is not so, I bought some Miracle Whip today.


The picture says it all!!  We bought a fan!!
Sad that it cost twice as much here as home,
but worth every penny!


We get to have turkey sandwiches tonight.  Everyone is super excited about this, because the "lunch meat" we had seen thus far was very much mystery looking bologna meat, but we found American lunch meat at price Smart and it wasn't through the roof expensive.  And we have miracle whip to go with!!  And American Cheddar cheese...that one was a splurge.
Here are some pictures of our hodge podge supper last night.  We all had something different.  




The opinion of his meal is pretty clear.

PRICELESS:
To walk out to a view like this every morning is a once in a lifetime experience.  The beauty of this country and the kindness of the people is just breathtaking.  God made an amazing artful masterpiece here.  Pictures cannot even begin to captivate the magnificent beauty.  






Who would have ever thought I would be texting to someone in Spanish?  Myra was texting me last night in Spanish and I had to reply in Spanish.  Good practice.  


3 comments :

Vickie said...

I liked this post. Random is good and you can be very funny! lol

~Kristin~ said...

Kalina~ This will be something that will stay with you all forever.
Sweet Country (and cool) blessings to you!

XO

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Kristin for all of your sweet comments. When we get all settled I will email you. We are in a state of chaos right now with trying to get moved into permanent housing.