Thursday, February 9, 2012

John 15:12-13

"This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.  Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." - John 15:12-13


We are to love everyone this way.  Do we?  Are we loving like Jesus when we speculate?  When we argue and bicker?  When we drive past the homeless man with a sign?  When we ignore the pleas of the orphan?  Are we really living a life that is full of loving everyone like Jesus loved?

If we answer honestly to ourselves, I am sure the answer would be no.  I thought about this verse yesterday when the kids and I were working on a little Valentine's Day project for their friends.  I want to teach them to love their friends and to give something out of love.  (Yes, I am one of those Mommies who does not like giving other children candy and I don't like my children receiving it.  It is a waste of money...it sits in the cabinet and hardens, and then to the trash it goes.)  Do you love others enough to not remember their faults or their mishaps in life?  Jesus did.  He didn't bring out the list of all the faults and problems he had with his friends and give his life only for the ones who lived up to his expectation.  No, he loved enough to lay down his life for all.  His death is our opportunity. 

I want to love like Jesus.  I think it is something that we have to consciously strive for everyday.  Satan is sitting there waiting for that little crack in the window, so he can shatter everything.  He wants us to hold grudges, to remember things from that past that should be forgotten, to argue and bicker about nothing.  Satan loves hate....anything that is not love is what he is digging for. 

This Valentine's Day, make a commitment to God and yourself to love, truly love, everyone as He hath loved us.  What greater gift could you give to yourself and everyone you encounter?  I think that is a Valentine's Gift to remember.  Live with lots of Love!!







I will have to show you a picture of the
finished project when we get our
tags made for our friends.




No comments :